Monday, May 14, 2012

A New Psalm

With thanks to Laurie Kolp ( http://lkharris-kolp.blogspot.com/ ) for introducing me to this idea: erasure poetry.  
For my first try I've chosen my favorite psalm, and gone through it, crossing every word that I have not chosen.  From the words unmarked, I then create my psalm.


Psalm 95

1 Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord;
    let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.
2 Let us come before him with thanksgiving
    and extol him with music and song.


For the Lord is the great God,
    the great King above all gods.
4 In his hand are the depths of the earth,
    and the mountain peaks belong to him.
5 The sea is his, for he made it,
    and his hands formed the dry land.

6 Come, let us bow down in worship,
    let us kneel before the Lord our Maker;
7 for he is our God
    and we are the people of his pasture,
    the flock under his care.

Today, if only you would hear his voice,
8 “Do not harden your hearts as you did at Meribah,

    as you did that day at Massah
in the wilderness,
9 where your ancestors tested me;
    they tried me, though they had seen what I did.
10 For forty years I was angry with that generation;
    I said, ‘They are a people whose hearts go astray,
    and they have not
known my ways.’
11 So I declared on oath in my anger,
    ‘They shall never enter my rest.’”







Sing joy!
Shout of salvation
thanksgiving
music and song:
The Lord is King!
Mountain peaks
sea
dry land
worship the Lord.
Hear His voice
in the wilderness:
"Know My ways."

No comments:

Post a Comment